A framework or approach of sorts

Hello,

I am new to the test plant forums and i will try not to sound dumb :).
My query is about the frameworks that we can use while automating the tests using Eggplant. When i say "Frameworks", i mean a way to organize my tests and other tools which are a kind of arrangement that will be permanent over the years for n number of tests. If i can say in a simple language then we may call it an "approach" as well. There are certain frameworks that i used in the past like keyword driven or data driven or a hybrid one. with other test automation tools like QTP or Test Complete. I used multi layered architecture wherein the simplest form of scripting will be the topmost layer with actions like Click or Write Text or Drag which are tightly coupled with a lower layer programming unit having all the details being called for those actions.Then i will have a separate middle layer for the objects which can be particular to a screen or a functionality specific and these are to be used by the top and lower layers to perform the actions on those objects.This allowed me a good amount of re-usability, easy for the average script-aware audience and also a good maintainability. I am now starting up with Eggplant and was wondering if there are some good practices or approaches that anyone followed to avoid myself from known pitfalls or surprises that i might come across. In short, i do not want to reinvent a wheel if someone has already done it :) and can help me out by suggesting. My requirements are same as i mentioned above like re-usability, maintainability and an easy top layer so that everyone does not need to get into the box to know the details. I will be needed to use the data using Excels or i can use tables as well f provided by EP.

Thank You very much

Comments

• DaveHesterDaveHester Member ✭✭
    I use eggPlant Functional in the Healthcare IT field, so my suggestions may or may not meet your needs.
      I took all of my manual scripts and broke them into pieces which recurred across multiple scripts (e.g. login, set user preferences, lookup a patient, etc.).
      I created each of those pieces as separate scripts in my suite.
      I created a ordered list of those scripts in a text file which corresponded to all of the steps in my manual script.
      I populated a spreadsheet with values for all of the variables that I would need for any test patient
      I created a "shell" script which reads the test steps from the text file and the patient data from the Excel.

This allows analysts who are unfamiliar with ePF to work exclusively in the Excel files and text files, and I work the actual scripting. There is sample code that I posted to a different thread for loading the Excel data. You should be able to find it by tracing my profile.

Hope this helps!
  • Hello DaveHaster,

It definitely helps :) , i will be using the EP in a similar environment and i am going to consider your approach as well in case i can utilize some of your inputs. I will contact you if needed and i will still be looking out for any more inputs just like the ones you suggested. Thank you very much for taking out the time and hope you achieved your goals using EP automation.

Thank You :)