Problems with Image Recognition and OCR.

ForestForest Member
edited September 3 in Eggplant Functional
Version 19.1.2 Linux (Red Hat)
I've noticed since our last 2 Eggplant Functional updates that the image search (and OCR) are failing FAR more often, especially on tests that have been running fine for 6 months.  With OCR we'll see OCR work, then after a few runs suddenly it can't find the text that it successfully found 5 minutes prior.  Several of our Developers have noticed similar issues with the image matching, I wanted to know of other users are seeing the same issues.

Comments

  • ForestForest Member
    In an effort to figure out this issue, I'm going to document what's been going on an what we've done to figure out the problem.  First the issue has been noticed by myself and another tester,  a third coworker has not been seeing the issue.  Now I'll note the two of us seeing failures are running the linux version (noted above) while the other person is running the Windows version. 

    To test I tried using a very basic script that is used often in my automated tests:  It right clicks on an image (to drop a menu), then selects a item, which drops down another menu and it selects and item from that menu.  This script has been running fine for a year now, until recently it's never had any problems/errors. 

    Lately when using a RightClick to find the image you can see the cursor move to the image, then it suddenly snaps back to it's previous location to right click. Till now I've used Click "<Image>" to select the menu items but a very recent color change to the menu background (it's gone a little lighter) caused the 'Click on an item" to not find the image.  So I switched to OCR to select the menu items as I've had good experiences with it.  Usually after first starting the Eggplant GUI the first time the script is run it runs fine.  When I try to run it again, now the OCR can't find the menu text, even though NOTHING has changed from the previous run.  Run it again and the issue with the pointer finding then leaving the image before clicking starts - and the OCR will still not find the menu text. One of the issues OCR will cite is contrast, but with white text on a black background I can's see how this is the case.

  • ForestForest Member
    What we've done to try to track down the issue:
    1) Removed the SuiteInfo file, I had noticed we had 2 Suites with the same EncodedTextKey so I removed the file in order for Eggplant to generate a new one..  No change in reaction.

    2) Ran a different Suite/script (with similar commands) on a Windows machine (and it ran perfectly).  I ran the same suite/script from my Linux Eggplant GUI with 2 different SUTs and the test ran perfectly.  No problems.

    3) I then created a new version of my script (with a newly captured image) and I'm getting the same problems.  Runs fine the first time, but after that I get inconsistent points of failure.

    Note I checked both the new and old images that I need to right click on; both had the same 'hot spot' dead center on the image. 

    In Preferences I've:
    Enable Aggressive Text Extraction
    Ignore Spaces
    Enhance Local Contrast
    Check for low contrast text during OCR search
    Check for low contrast text during image search
  • EggplantMattEggplantMatt ForumAdmin admin
    Please submit this as a support case to Eggplant. The forums are intended as a community resource, not a mechanism for support. I can tell you that there have been no changes to the image search algorithms in years, or the OCR engine recently. The behavior you describe with right clicks is not something we've heard from anywhere else and I can think of nothing that would explain it other than an issue on the SUT -- the mouse should only move in response to directions from Eggplant Functional, and there's nothing in the code that would send instructions to return to a prior location.

    I would never recommend "Aggressive Text Extraction" -- that's generally going to cause more problems that it could solve. The two "checks" are for usability, not for OCR functionality. IgnoreSpaces is only going to help if the issue is actually due to spaces being seen where they aren't or not seen where they are. You can often diagnose that issue by using a ReadText on the area where you expect the text to be found.
Sign In or Register to comment.