Vine Server on XServe without graphics-card

BartBart Member
Hi,

Can Vine Server run on an XServe without a graphics-card?
I would like to use both PCI slots for soundcards.
I have been trying to find the answer on the web, but came up with conflicting evidence.

Thanks,

Bart.

Comments

• JonathanOSXJonathanOSX ForumAdmin admin
    Our understanding is that this does work just fine and is actually recommended by Apple as one of the preferred ways to interract with a video-free XServe.

We do not actually have one of the newer X-Serves in house to verify with however so please post your results here if you give it a try.
  • Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Are there any restrictions as to what software you can run without a graphics card?
    If not, then aparently you have a created some kind of "virtual graphics card".
    How much does this tax the CPU of a G5/dual G5 at most?(ballpark figure) Is this "virtual graphics card" also running on computers with an actual graphics card? In that case I could experiment a bit for myself.
    Would you say audio-programs such as Logic Pro depend heavilly on the graphics card and thus create a big load on the CPU when VNC'd?
    I do not have the xserve yet, and I would really like to find out the answers to these questions before getting one.

Thanks,

Bart.
  • JonathanOSXJonathanOSX ForumAdmin admin
    edited December 2006
    Vine Server doesn't "create a graphics card". But I do believe that something inside Mac OS however does create a "graphics context", probably some sort of generic one.

You are probably correct that at least some programs that require specific graphics hardware (maybe 3-D modeling tools, games or the like) would have a hard time with this set-up although going through VNC is going to be a really poor scenario for this anyhow.

I don't have any hard figures on the impact of running a single graphic context; we don't have any machines that have no video cards so I believe a GC is always running. I can say that it _is_ noticeable when I'm running more than one graphics context on a 10.4 machine, (using Fast User Switching and a VNC server).

I would not categorize any GUI apps as particularly more intenstive than any other unless they use a lot of 3D renderring. So I think Logic Pro shouldn't have a particularly noticeable impact, even with lots of controls on screen at once.
  • Hello

I can not give exact values about the graphic performance of an Xserve with out a graphic card. Using Apple Remote Desktop 2.2 and 3.1 on a Xserve (G5 - dual 2.16GHz) the graphic response is slower as on an PowerMac G5 with an 23" Cinema Display attached also controlled over ARD. But I think more important for your planed use together with the Logic Pro Software is, that the resolution of the virtual display is limited to 1024*768 pixel. Maybe enough to administer a server, but not enough for an Application GUI like Logic Pro. By the way the same is true even on a "normal" Mac with a graphic card installed but no monitor attached.

I hope this helps, best regards,

Andre