Vine - does it support dual monitors?

older vnc clients i used to use (osxvnc paired with chicken of the vnc) would not support dual monitors on my macs. does vine?

Comments

• JonathanOSXJonathanOSX ForumAdmin admin
    At this time Vine Server 2.1 (for Mac OS X) does not support multiple monitors. It's on our list as a future enhancement.

Vine Viewer _does_ support servers that offer multiple monitor support that come as either a consolidated image/screen or that allow you to connect on different ports for different displays. These are the only two ways that I'm aware of multiple monitor support being offered by VNC.
  • bump - has vine been updated to work with multiple displays yet? I would not mind connecting to 2 ports for the 2 different screens, but whatever way vine would support it, I need to access both my displays.

thanks,
    PressingOnAlways
  • i've moved on to leopard's built-in screen sharing, which does support dual monitors very nicely.
  • hmmm.... i'm still on tiger...
    Appreciate the bump -- and it is still on our list of potential enhancements but at the moment we haven't put any resources into multiple monitors.

You can get a second monitor running against another monitor for VIEW ONLY using the -displayNumber flag, but you will only be able view (not edit) that screen.
  • joostpjoostp Member
    Excuse me for bumping this old thread but I really need advice on this.

The latest remark by Jonathan really interests me because this is exactly what I want. I am running Vine on a Mac Mini which has 2 displays. I want to access the second display from my iMac on a local network. I only need view mode.

Is this something I can achieve with Vine? I tried using the Display Number but I guess this only changes the port? Can I use the -displayNumber flag in another way?
    Unfortunately dual monitor support is still not really supported.
  • joostpjoostp Member
    What about your last remark in the previous post?
    There is no way to get a view of a second monitor?
    If you specify -displayNumber X then it will try to use other display's, that hasn't been tested on Lion and it may fail completely in Vine 4 beta, but you are welcome to try it.

That -displayNumber corresponds to the display where 0 is primary and the others are numbered sequentially.
  • joostpjoostp Member
    Too bad, doesn't seem to work.
    I can't believe that I cannot find a crossplatform (for the client side) VNC solution where I can access a second monitor using OSX authentication (or bypass the Lion login screen).
  • If you specify -displayNumber X then it will try to use other display's, that hasn't been tested on Lion and it may fail completely in Vine 4 beta, but you are welcome to try it.

That -displayNumber corresponds to the display where 0 is primary and the others are numbered sequentially.

I have 4 HD Screens connected to my mac. I'm trying to use VINE VNC to control them.

I used the -displaynumber 3 option and it's still only displaying the first screen.

Here's what I see in ps:

/Library/Application Support/VineServer/OSXvnc-server -rfbport 0 -desktop Eng-Server-QuadTV-Mac-Pro -rfbauth /Library/Application Support/VineServer/.vinevncauth -systemserver 1 -restartonuserswitch N -unicodekeyboard 0 -keyboardloading n -pressmodsforkeys n -eventtap 3 -eventsource 2 -swapbuttons -rendezvous y -displaynumber 3

How do I make Chicken of the VNC (client) and Vine see and use all 4 screens?
    Unfortunately Vine Server just doesn't really support multiple screens at this time.