Cmd-tab UI glitch

Hi,

I have one minor UI issue with Vine Viewer 1.1, and I hope you can fix it in 1.2. I often switch to other apps using cmd-tab. If I do this from Vine Viewer, it goes into observe-only mode. Is it possible to only go into observe-only mode if the user hits and then releases the command key while in Vine Viewer, or only if the user hits and releases the command key only (i.e. just the modifier with no other key)? Thanks.

Best,
David

Comments

• ToddTodd Member
    Please download and try out Vine Viewer 1.2 Beta, get back with us if your problems persist, as well as features and bugs you see in the new release.

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=739
  • SenseTalkDougSenseTalkDoug ForumAdmin admin
    The normal behavior of Vine Viewer is to toggle between Live and Observe Mode only when the Command key is pressed and released without any other user actions taking place.

This is the behavior I am seeing here with Cmd-Tab when I switch to a different application. When I use a Cmd-Tab sequence that results in Vine remaining the active application, it toggles Live/Observe Mode as you said. I think this is because the Cmd-Tab sequence is handled by OS X without Vine ever being aware of any events other than the Command key going down and up.

If you find this behavior annoying, you can change the Live Mode Toggle Key to use a different key instead, in the Viewer Window pane of the Preferences.
  • Hi,

The 1.2 beta acts the same way. Oddly, it doesn't always do it, just almost always. I'll post again if I figure out a pattern.

Best,
    David

P.S. The caps-lock mapping still isn't right for me in 1.2 beta. Did it get in?
  • JonathanOSXJonathanOSX ForumAdmin admin
    Caps lock doesn't allow itself to be mapped, it's a lower level control somewhere in the keyboard handler itself. The 2.2 fix is that Vine Server typed characters should no longer be affected by the local machines caps-lock state (at least that's how it worked for us).
  • The 1.2 beta acts the same way. Oddly, it doesn't always do it, just almost always. I'll post again if I figure out a pattern.
    OK, here's the pattern: If I hit cmd-tab and release it within a couple of seconds, Vine Viewer goes into observe-only mode in the background (since I've switched apps). If I hold cmd-tab down for more than about two seconds, then release it in the new app, Vine Viewer doesn't go into observe-only mode. Hope this helps.

Best,
    David
  • Caps lock doesn't allow itself to be mapped, it's a lower level control somewhere in the keyboard handler itself. The 2.2 fix is that Vine Server typed characters should no longer be affected by the local machines caps-lock state (at least that's how it worked for us).
    Hi,

Different problem; I apologize for not putting it where it belongs, in this thread.

Best,
    David
  • JonathanOSXJonathanOSX ForumAdmin admin
    What version of Mac OS X are you working with? In 10.4 if I press or hold Cmd-Tab it doesn't seem to effect Vine Viewer (1.2).
  • What version of Mac OS X are you working with? In 10.4 if I press or hold Cmd-Tab it doesn't seem to effect Vine Viewer (1.2).
    10.4.10. Old PowerBook G4/667 (Gigabit Ethernet), 1 GB RAM. I'd be happy to send you a complete system profile if you think you want it; I do have non-standard input methods, like Spell Catcher running.

Best,
    David
  • I do have non-standard input methods, like Spell Catcher, running.
    Further information: I disabled Spell Catcher by switching back to the U.S. keyboard in the input menu, with no change.