Eggplant Vs. Jwebunit

I am trying to make a choice between "jWebUnit" and Eggplant. Does anyone know which would be better.

I need the tool for regression and unit testing of my Web based application.

Comments

• SenseTalkDougSenseTalkDoug ForumAdmin admin
    Ask that question here, and of course we'll tell you that Eggplant is clearly the better choice! ;-)

Seriously, though, it sounds like you're talking about two very different types of testing. Eggplant is a GUI testing tool that interacts with your software just like a user does. It won't do unit testing. I'm not familiar with jWebUnit, but from its name it sounds like it's designed to do unit testing, so it's probably the better choice for those tests.

For functional regression testing, on the other hand, Eggplant should do a great job. My suggestion would be to pick the right tool or tools for the job(s) you want to do.
  • smssms Member
    Thanks for the quick reply. See I am a programmer, I don't mind writing some scripts or use a GUI based tool. As loog as it works and does not take too much time.

My question was that if anyone of my kind has tried both and has any views.

One more question. I have installed trial version of eggplant. I do not see the "Viewer Window". Will I need to have vpn set up for that? Why do I need VPN for testing something on my own machine? I am using mac, how can I install VPN on mac?
  • SenseTalkDougSenseTalkDoug ForumAdmin admin
    I presume you mean VNC, not VPN. Eggplant's fundamental paradigm is that it is a "two computer" system, with Eggplant automating another computer. However, it is also possible for it to drive software on the same computer running in a different account through the use of the Mac's Fast User Switch mechanism. Here's how you set that up:

To test an application on the same machine that Eggplant is running on you need to follow the procedure below.

System Requirement: OS X 10.4 or higher
    RAM: 2GB recommended

1.) Install Vine Server under /Applications
    2.) Enable fast user switching. System Preferences >> Accounts >> Login Options.
    3.) Allocate a user account as the test account. If you do not have another user on the local machine create one.
    4.) Close System Preferences.
    5.) Switch over to the test account by clicking on the current user's name in the upper right corner of the screen.
    6.) While Logged in as the other user, start the Vine Server.app - located under /Applications. The server should display a message stating that it is running. If not, click the "Start Server" button.
    7.) Switch back to the account that you were logged in as: the main account that you normally run Eggplant from.
    8.) Establish a connection to the VNC server via IP address of the local machine or via "your_Machine_name_here".local

By this time you should be able to see the desktop of the other user's account, and you should be able to author scripts just like you would had Eggplant been connected to a separate machine. Since you will be running Vine Server off of the same port that "Apple Remote Desktop" runs off of, please ensure that you have "Apple Remote Desktop" disabled. You can check this via System Prefs > Sharing > Services.