I have no smaller case b

I have a very strange effect on a given conenction to a mac box.

If I type b it does not result in a b, if I type shift b it result in a upper case B.
This happens consistently vs a mac box. There seems to be no other character on this level which have the same effect. Its only the b :?:

Using a different box, like a Win, the effect is not there.

I dont get it...

I will tell you everything of my boxes (versions, platform, setting etc) if you are interested in helpting to solve this mis(t)ery ;-)

Comments

• MSchrempp--
    Do you get anything when you type a lowercase b? Does it work in live mode? Please tell me which VNC server, OS, and version of Eggplant you are using.

We'll figure out the mystery. :wink:
  • EggplantMattEggplantMatt ForumAdmin admin
    Do you have a non-English keyboard on either side of this setup? "International" keyboard configurations can sometimes cause problems like this -- it's a frustrating issue for us as well as our users.

Another possibility is that a modifier key is being included in this sequence (although I wouldn't think this would be the case consistently), so if you're unintentionally producing a command + "b" (for example) then it wouldn't be typing anything. This is also less likely since it sounds like you are connecting to a separate standalone machine.

Just out of curiosity, if you put the cursor where you want it and execute the following sequence, does it produce a "b"?
    SetRemoteClipboard "b"
    typetext commandkey, "v"

I'm not suggesting this as a viable workaround, it's just a diagnostic.
  • I connect from a Mac Powerbook running 10.4.11 to an Intel box running 10.5.6. The Powerbook is set to german keyboard setting as the intel box is. If I switch the intel box from german to us keyboard setting (within finder) the small b appears as it should, if switched back to german keyboard setting nothing appears if I either type or typetext b.

Eggplant (yes I know Testplant) version: 4.11 (1125)
    VineServer: 3.0 (1016) How is 3.1beta going ;-)

At the moment I do not use b within scripts, most likely I can avoid using it as long as I want and if I need one I do a copy and paste as I do it for backslashes or @ signs when running vs windows boxes ;-)

I find it so very strange that only the b seems to be affected, why not the a or whatever... I hope it does not start spreading along the keyboard and will affect more and more keys 8)
  • EggplantMattEggplantMatt ForumAdmin admin
    After speaking with the developers, it seems that the problem is that when using non-English keyboards, we're only able to see what keys are mapped to; we're not able to query how to produce a "b". We ask the remote system for its mappings -- if one of them happens to be "b", then we can type the letter "b". As I understand it, when using the German mapping the "b" key actually produces an "?" and getting to a "b" requires the use of what is referred to as a dead key. These dead key sequences are not part of the response when we ask the server for its character mapping. The beta version gets a more complete mapping as it attempts to use the modifier keys, but the dead key sequences are still problematic.